Day 1 - Poem of Childhood  

Posted by Megan

As suggested by my previous post, this is a poem I really struggled with. I was thinking and writing but nothing was jarring loose, everything was just staying exactly in its place, carefully locked away. But finally someone said something to me. Just a single feeling that triggered a memory that was more than a flash. A memory I could really hold on to. Of course I still consider it a work in progress and post it with some trepidation. My first poem...

__________________________________________

I wait for you, across the street, waiting for us to walk home

Walked crunch, crunch down the Berber hallway;
Glancing back, eyes pretending not to look.
Stopped to a slow-motion pace watching the door of your classroom
Shuffle, shuffle scuffing along on the soles of my feet.

Ran my finger in the crease between two rows of bricks.
Took a long sip of water from the fountain
Eyes slanted down the hall. Paused,
Longer than I needed to, just let the water flow past my lips
Cool and fresh.
I hate the taste of water, but I drink it because I can, to fill the space between here and
the other side of the road (where I wait for you)

Stepped outside, brightness bearing down
Backpack slapping against my already itching back.
The road is sporadically busy, the cars travel too quickly
I have been crossing this road for years, sometimes with you.
I smiled at the crossing guard, she sort of feels like my friend.

As soon as the tip of my right toe touched the curb
I threw my bag down in the grass, I followed behind it.
Used it as a pillow, thinking of what I want to tell you about my day.
Just laid there in the grass (where I wait for you)

I see you, walking finally, I sit up
I try to pretend you didn't see me as you reverse your steps and duck behind the bus.
They roll away, one by one, but as I stand up to put my backpack on, you aren't there.
Pound, thud. I start pacing a little, I know what happened.

But still I wait for you.

______________________________

Do you know what happens in the end of the poem?
What do you think a good title of this poem would be?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 at Wednesday, October 01, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

I'm not sure what happened. Who were you waiting on, sibling maybe. A sibling that left "skipped" on you maybe. Perhaps a boyfriend who for some reason ditches you.

Title Waiting in Silent Torment

October 1, 2008 at 9:37 PM
Anonymous  

AWESOME - no I'm not sure... but I like the suspence. Yeah... so first I guessed a "crush," then I thought about your mom and you are little, but then your mom wouldn't leave you. I really LOVE your style and flow.

October 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM
Anonymous  

NO, but I think it must be very sad.... I hope I'm wrong. If not, (((hugs)))

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I'm guessing it was an unrequited love that in hindsight should have stayed that way. You perhaps had a crush on a boy who at first didn't have mutual feelings. Eventually, he paid attention to you, leading to a long and possibly unhealthy relationship based on convenience and codependency. Eventually one of you, probably yourself, had enough strength to move on.

Or maybe I'm just bitter about young love.

October 2, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Thanks for all of your comments. I was thinking about what theebadmoney said and it was sort of an unrequited love now that I think about it, just not in the way you would expect.

October 2, 2008 at 6:14 PM

All right, I'm going to give this a try. The assignment is a poem about childhood, so here goes

The Daycare

Everyday, I was consigned to her.
She was Grandma to all, hardly.
Always nice, when necessary.
Until all parents disappear.

Turning to me, rope in hand.
Those words, I shall never unlearn.
"Lefties are, Devils spawn,
Righties have gift from God."

Binding of the Devils spawn
brings forth Gods gifted.
Day after day, Months on end.
Perpetually timeless until return.

No longer I be, Devils spawn.
Converted for her beliefs.
Never to be lefty predominantly.
Gifted to be, right handed.


Disclaimer, This poetry is tough. But then perhaps mine should not be called poetry.

October 2, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Post a Comment

A Poem Is A Little Path

A poem is a little path
That leads you through the trees.
It takes you to the cliffs and shores,
To anywhere you please.

Follow it and trust your way
With mind and heart as one,
And when the journey's over,
You'll find you've just begun.

--From The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury,
Knopf, 1999, copyright by Charles Ghigna.