Day 3 - Poem of Cool  

Posted by Megan

Boy

He thinks he's cool that Johnny boy does.
With his skinny jeans, wafting clouds of cancer
Johnny aint cool, he hasn't been schooled.

My boy Johnny thinks he's cool
Crying to his mama when no one can hear
She buys him his tattered jeans
She looks away while he sucks his cancer sticks

Johnny boy knows the meaning of cool,
Doing whatever you want with a fuck you attitude.
Teetering on the edge, wondering how much fun it could be to topple

We real cool
Johnny boy, like the feeling of truth
Rippling, like a chill

But, Johnny boy, remember this
Cool aint like they show it up on the big screen.
Cool may be rough and tumble but it don't mean shit
Without a heart of gold

Johnny boy aint no Cool Hand Luke
Johnny's just a lazy mama's boy
Hiding behind a rebellious attitude.
__________________________________

I didn't really follow the assignment for the day. I knew where I wanted to go but I just couldn't get there. I am happy with the results anyway. Though it was frustrating at times to start and studder start the poem over and over again. What ended up happening was that I used all of these misstarts and ended up with this really nice repeating quality in the poem.

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 at Saturday, October 04, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Nice; me likey. Keep a' going!

October 4, 2008 at 4:39 AM

I like the repeating quality. Nice poem, I ain't cool. he he he

October 4, 2008 at 1:57 PM
Anonymous  

That is so way cool. I love the rhythm and repeating feel. I'm so impressed so far - you're doing great!

October 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Post a Comment

A Poem Is A Little Path

A poem is a little path
That leads you through the trees.
It takes you to the cliffs and shores,
To anywhere you please.

Follow it and trust your way
With mind and heart as one,
And when the journey's over,
You'll find you've just begun.

--From The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury,
Knopf, 1999, copyright by Charles Ghigna.