Day 2 - Writing about yourself  

Posted by Megan

The 30 Poems in 30 Days series is written by John Hewitt. When I came across the site I did not realize that I in fact just barely missed this year's edition of it. As a result, I am starting at 2007, at the beginning. Quotes come directly from Hewitt, and thanks to him for the work and effort her has put into this.

Today's article by Hewitt accompanying the assignment had a lot of really useful tips and comments. The overall task of writing about yourself has always been easy for me. In fact the majority of my work is autobiographical, though sometimes to a hyperbolic level. It wasn't until I started writing off of photos and other pieces of art work was I able to write in a poetic voice other than my own. Do you find it is hard to write poetry about yourself? Do you use any tricks to remove yourself from the situation you are writing about?

You are a Character
"One of the keys to writing about the events in your life is to accept yourself as a character. When you are writing about yourself, you are essentially writing a persona poem, and the persona is you. A person reading your poem is going to be viewing you as a character in the poem. They may understand that you are writing about yourself, but they will still be viewing you as a character that they are trying to interpret and connect with."

I really like this little insight. Sometimes you are scared of writing about yourself because of the things you will reveal. But if you look at the person in your poetry as a mask you can wear it can be helpful to allow yourself to open. We are all wearing a multi sided mask as we go through life. We show different people different parts of our personalities. Think of your writing voice as just one of those many personalities.

First or Third
"Some people find it helpful to write about themselves in the third person. Using this technique they move even further toward viewing themselves as a character. This technique allows them to step outside of themselves and view the events in a more detached way. Some people are comfortable with that process, while others prefer to stay in the first person. I, for one, like to stay in the first person."

What do you write in? For me it is totally situational. I will even switch point of view while editing a poem to create a different effect or let something new come out of it. I find that when I write in third person I am better at creating a character for myself as mentioned above. It is easier for me to be really honest when I have that detachment, but I don't always require it. I even sometimes like to write in the second person even though it is a pretty big no-no. I figure my poetry, my choice. It isn't really going to hurt anyone, maybe annoy them a little. Do you have a preference when you are reading poetry for it to be in first or third?

Today's Assignment
"Write about an event in your life that happened within the past week. Take some time to think about the week and look for event that has some emotional meaning for you, but not so much that it would be painful for you to write about. Sometimes smaller moments have more meaning."

Is anyone out there writing along with me or enjoy seeing the assignment before the poem is posted? I am trying to decide if I should just post the assignment above my poem once I have completed it. Any thoughts?
save

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 at Thursday, October 02, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

My writing "mask" as you say is completely different than my everyday persona. I clean my language up, and try to pay more attention to words and structure. This sounds weird, but I really care what my writing sounds like.

I like the assignment posted before the posting of the poem. It give some anticipation, and at the point I decide to join in, it will give me some direction prior to seeing your sample.

Chihuatude

October 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Post a Comment

A Poem Is A Little Path

A poem is a little path
That leads you through the trees.
It takes you to the cliffs and shores,
To anywhere you please.

Follow it and trust your way
With mind and heart as one,
And when the journey's over,
You'll find you've just begun.

--From The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury,
Knopf, 1999, copyright by Charles Ghigna.